These questions are answered by Nicolas Slusarenko, Developer of Trokam. More questions and answers in Q&A.
What is Trokam?
Trokam is an ongoing project to develop an online, ads-free and open source search engine.
Why I did it?
I want develop a new business, in the terms that I would like to use an online service.
- Trokam respect your privacy. Trokam does not collect any private data. Trokam deliver the same results no matter who or where the user is.
- Trokam does not have advertisement mixed with search results. There is no commercial mechanism to influence the visibility of a particular result.
- Results are auditable. A user could easily know what words Trokam considered relevant in an specific web page using ‘audit’ button.
- Trokam is free software. All the code is available under GPLv2 (github.com/trokam).
What is pending to do?
- Improve the search algorithm and audit information.
- Modify the single-node database into a multi-node database to increase performance, capacity and reliability.
- Build a cluster for database, each node would be a dedicated machine with SSD.
- Invite people to do web crunching to inject data into the database cluster. With a large base of crunchers we could reach the 1000 million pages crunched.
Development ideas discussed at Trokam Dev site (dev.trokam.com).